WE ARE JEU, THE BOULES BAR OF THE NETHERLANDS AND THIS IS HOW WE PLAY
Let’s all go ballistic.
Boules is fun for all ages! But what are the official game rules? At JEU, you’re welcome to make up your own rules as you go, or you can play by the official rules listed below.
HOW TO WIN?
A game consists of several rounds and the game ends when a team has scored 13 points
Score points by throwing your team’s balls nearer to the jack (the small ball) than the other team’s best throw. For every ball that is closer to the jack than the closest ball of the other team, the winning team receives 1 point. The losing team doesn’t get any points.
1. TEAM SELECTION
At JEU, you always play boules in two teams. Depending on your group size, these are your team options:
- Tete-a-tete: two teams with a single player, every player has 3 balls.
- Doublette: two teams with two players each, every player has three balls.
- Triplette: two teams of three players each, every player has two balls.
Two teams per court.
Each team picks a type of balls.
- Two players per team, means three balls each.
More than two players per team? You get six (of the same) balls per team.
- Place the throwing circle against the edge of the court.
- Step into the circle with both feet and throw the jack (the small ball). The jack needs to end up at least one metre from the outer edges.
The first ball is thrown by the first team, the second ball by the second team. Now, the team whose ball is furthest from the jack keeps their turn until they throw a ball closest to the jack . Should they fail, the first team can throw their remaining balls. A round is finished when all the balls have been played.
The points are added up and written down on the scoreboard.
Place the throwing circle on the opposite side of the court so the winning team can start a new game in the opposite direction by throwing the jack.
DID YOU KNOW...
Lost 13-0…? Kiss Fanny and buy a round of drinks! We will gladly explain who Fanny is and where you need to kiss her.
Winner or loser?
Did you win or lose? Then everyone should know this of course! Especially for the winner (or loser) we have the winners and losers trophy. You can buy these at the counter.
Are you hungry?
Got hungry while reading the game rules? Order yummy streetfood bites and local beers at the bar.
- Ball outside of the court? This ball no longer counts in this round, regardless of whether it is your own fault or not.
- Jack outside of the court? Restart this round by throwing it again.
- Jack outside of the court?
- Restart this round, but only when both teams have balls left.
- When all the balls have been played, start a new round of boules.
- If only one team has balls left, that team wins. They score 1 point per remaining ball.
Memorised the game rules? Go on, you cool cat!